The guardian puppy is part of the guardian forever home. However, the breeding rights of the puppy remain with Westmount Australian Labradoodles under contract. We will DNA test ALL of our puppies before they leave us so that we can best plan a breeding partner for the dogs in the future.
The cost of a guardian family puppy is $1,500 instead of the full price of an adopted puppy. The $1,500 is fully refundable at the end of the dog's breeding career. The guardian family is an essential part of our breeding program. Periodically, the dog will be returned to us for health testing, breeding and whelping. We will be in regular contact with the family to provide support.
This contact will allow the dog to remain familiar with us and to feel comfortable when staying at our home.
The girls: At approximately one year of age, we will complete a health test with our veterinarian. Your girl might have to spend a few days with us so that we can complete all health and temperament testing. No labradoodle will have a litter prior to eighteen months. It will be important that you inform us of every heat cycle. We contract ours girls for a maximum of four litters. After the four planned litters, the girl will be spayed and retired from our breeding program. All breeding expenses will be at our cost.
The boys: At approximately one year of age, we complete health and temperament testing. Occasionally, the boy will need to spend a few days with us as we will need the boy for mating purposes only or for artificial insemination.
Once this is achieved, the boy is returned to the guardian family. However, should we notice other issues with the dog, he may have a sleep over for follow-up.
We will explain to every guardian family the details of the program. Should the girl / boy not obtain the test results as expected, she / he will be spayed at our expense and retired from our breeding program.
Additional considerations for the guardian family:The guardian family is valued as an important facet of our breeding program.
The requirements to become a guardian family are:
- You must live within an hour's drive of Westmount, Quebec and own your home.
- Provide a safe, loving and stimulating environment for the girl/boy.
- Ensure regular veterinary care at your expense, which includes vaccines and parasitic control
- Provide regular exercise, socialization and lots of love.
- Provide regular professional grooming
- Have a securely fenced garden.
- All breeding rights are retained by Westmount Australian Labradoodles and it is essential that the girl be kept safe during the breeding cycle and the boy be kept away from any females.
- Ensure that any other dog living in the same home be spayed/neutered, unless it is a breeding Westmount Australian labradoodle.
- You must maintain open communication with Westmount Australian Labradoodles and have regular contact with us.
- You must be willing to bring your dog to obedience school
- You must assume the additional responsibility to care for an intact dog.